Pages

Wednesday 9 January 2013

{review} Snowbound With A Stranger by Rebecca Rogers Maher



Kindle Edition73 pages
Published May 28th 2012 by Carina Press



Dannie Marino is hiking with colleagues when a sudden blizzard separates her from her group. She's rescued by Lee, a dangerously sexy stranger who leads her to a remote cabin to weather the storm.

When the night inevitably ends in an intense erotic encounter, Dannie is both shocked and liberated by her response. But being intimate means letting herself be vulnerable, which isn't her style. Lee tries to reach out to her, but she avoids any emotional entanglement by pushing him away.

Snowed in and unable to hide from each other, Dannie and Lee must both face up to their most closely guarded emotions. When the storm abates, will they be able to stop running from the past and live fully in the future

It's no secret that during the initial stages of my divorce, I holed up in the dining slash guest room of my parents cottage in the middle of semi-nowhere.  Cottage is the word we use to dress the place up a bit - it's really a cabin.  A three season one, not really meant for inhabiting during the extreme Winter weather.  Usually, that's when my parents are in Florida and the place is shut off and locked up tight until Spring.  But when their favourite child goes through a horrible time and needs a place to stay, there we are, stuck in a barely winterized cabin in the middle of February.   

It was a lovely time.  Really.  Frozen water pipes and cold toes really just added to the experience of realizing my life just months prior was the biggest load of bullshit I could have imagined.  I spent a lot of my time walking the dogs in the woods, sobbing my eyes out as I trudged through snow banks two feet deep.

This novella was nothing like that.  Thankfully.

There were a few things I quite enjoyed about this book, starting with the setting.  I could almost hear the porch creaking with Dannie's footsteps, or the sound cold wooden walls make when they're met with heat from a fireplace.  

Another enjoyable factor?  The characters themselves.  I liked that both Dannie and Lee were older than the average couple in an average romance.   I liked the realistic emotional baggage carried by both.  

I'm going to admit that I wasn't down with the name Lee as a sexy one - I've only known a handful of Lee's, and one of them had the secret nickname Penis Head - and not just because he acted like a prick.  But as the story moved, I thought less of Penis Head Lee, and more about sexy, quiet, brooding, strong Lee.  Yum.

I'd like to be stranded in my cabin with this Lee.  Unfortunately, the men that live in that area either didn't resemble Lee in any way, or stayed the hell away from the redhead crying her eyes out in the snowy woods.  Smart men.





No comments:

Post a Comment